When I started blogging in June to keep track of our family reading challenge, I had no idea what I was about to embark on. Three months later and, although I remain very much a novice blogger, I wanted to mark Along Came Poppy's bloggerversary by reflecting upon my experiences so far.
So, what have I learned?
- I am a bit (OK very) technically inept! I was very proud of myself when I initially set up the blog but three months on and I am yet to go self hosted and still have daily issues with formatting. Navigating the blogosphere has itself been quite challenging too but with a few pointers from some brilliant bloggers, I am starting to find my feet. The following post has been particularly useful:
- Top Tips for a Successful Blog from A Mum Track Mind
- Blogging is incredibly time consuming. I quickly discovered that writing content is only the tip of the iceberg when it comes to blogging. I spend a lot (probably too much) time on social media. I also join in with linky parties to share my posts with other bloggers and read other blogs for inspiration. I confess I don't have much spare time with two little ones at home all the time so it is a good job I am a night owl!
- There is an amazing and supportive network of bloggers out there willing to share their own tips and technical knowledge. I have found these linkys particularly encouraging to join in with:
- KCACOLS hosted by A Moment With Franca
- Word of the Week hosted by The Reading Residence
- Read With Me hosted by Mama Mummy Mum
- As well as reviewing a vast number of children's books and sharing our recommendations on the blog, I also decided to share a little about our family life. I have particularly enjoyed raising awareness of Ectodermal Dysplasia, Jeans for Genes Day and National Eczema Week.
- I have been amazed by the number of visitors we have had to the blog and I have been completely overwhelmed by the positive feedback we have received. I am thrilled each time someone tells me they have enjoyed a book we have recommended and I love reading your comments!
- Our three most popular posts so far have been:
- Word of the week: Kindness
- 366 Books in 366 Days: Miffy’s Birthday Review and Giveaway
- Review: H is for Haemodialysis
- However, the post that makes me smile the most is: A poem to my daughter on her first day of school
- Pre-blogging I was already fairly active on Twitter and Instagram. I continue to post our daily book choice photos to Instagram. We now have over 880 followers on IG and 1,640 on Twitter.
Looking to the future:
- I aim to continue to post at least one bookish post a week and a Word of the Week post, which may relate to family life, parenting, days out or blogging (a bit of everything). I will continue to do product reviews as and when the opportunities arise.
- I intend to go self hosted but I am currently slightly terrified by this prospect. I wish I had chosen to be self hosted from the start - why didn't I listen to all the experienced bloggers out there?!
- I would like to build relationships with authors, illustrators and publishers, and perhaps, join in with a Book Blog Tour at some stage (if we are very lucky).
- We do have a few other product reviews in the pipeline and I hope to do a bit of vlogging with the Mini Reviewers as they enjoy making little videos!
- Most importantly I hope that we continue to enjoy our #366booksin366days reading challenge and everything the blog brings. Here's to the next three months!
Thank you for reading and for your continuing support.
Until next time... KEEP READING!
Until next time... KEEP READING!
Kate and the Mini Reviewers x
Lots of new vocabulary for me. Love the latest picture of Poppy! xxxxReplyDelete
Congratulations on your 3 month anniversary hun! It's a big milestone in the blogging world. I'll be watching on for your six month anniversary post :)ReplyDelete